Liberty, Amite County, Mississippi, 1891
Liberty, the seat of justice of Amite County, has a population of four
hundred and twenty-six. It is a handsome village and has always supported and
encouraged schools. Its college hall was burned by Federal soldiers during their
occupancy of the town in 1863. The buildings that were spared were later
acquired by Prof. C. F. Manales, a native Amite countian and an educator of
Other towns in the county are Gloster and Gilliaburg. The educational institutions at Bast Fork and Ebenegon are liberally patronized.
Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891