Hernando, De Soto County, Mississippi, 1891
Hernando, the seat of justice of De Soto County, on the Illinois Central
railroad, has a population of six hundred and twenty. It is a busy town full of
men of vigorous enterprise, and was incorporated in 1839. E. W. Caldwell was its
first mayor. Joseph Payne its first marshal.
It has five churches for whites and two for colored people. The Methodist Episcopal South, Baptist, Episcopal, Presbyterians and Cumberland Presbyterians have houses of worship.
There is a good school for white and another for colored pupils. The town has twenty business houses and an ax-handle factory.
Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891